TF P-47 I Ended up Going Backwards Today :(

Well I spent quite a bit of time in my shop this weekend. I made great progress getting the stab and fin fitted to the fuse and aligned. I got everything true and square and ready to go. I even picked up a Robart incidence gauge and used it ensure that the stab had the proper +1 deg. incidence angle. I mixed up the epoxy and got everything glued up and fitted into place. Now I start to worry because after 90 minutes (using 30 minute epoxy), the epoxy left over in my mixing cup is still soft and tacky and shows no sign of kicking. I hit the cup with a little heat and the epoxy immediately turns runny, so I convince myself that I did not add enough hardener.

I know that 30 minutes epoxy takes about 8 hours to fully set up, and that there is some forgiveness to the mix, but I decided that I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I pulled everything apart. Of course, this leaves me with a big sticky mess to clean up. I got most of it cleaned off by heating it up and scraping it off using single edge razor blades. While doing this, I managed to cut my finger and did not notice that it was bleeding until I saw blood stains on the balsa!

I think I have everything cleaned up with only some minor cosmetic damage. I am off to North Carolina again this week, so I won’t be able to try again until next weekend.

TF P-47 Fuse Top Construction Continues 2

Well I finally got a chance to get back into my shop and make a bit more progress on the P-47. Next step is to get the sheeting on the fuse top. I had previously formed the pre-cut lower sheeting around some aluminum ducting to set in the curve.

DSC00363

Last weekend, I had an hour to sneak into my shop, and I thought that would be enough time to get the lower sheeting glued up. Fortunately, I decided to use Titebond aliphatic resin instead of CA. I got the sheeting partway glued down but was really struggling to keep it from buckling. I was totally dissatisfied with how it looked, so I pulled it off, wiped off the glue with a damp rag and decided to leave this for when I wouldn’t feel rushed.

I had a bit more time today, so I took another go at it, again using Titebond. This time, everything went smoothly and I got both lower sheeting pieces glued down.

DSC00364DSC00365

After the glue set up, I went back and started to trim back the sheeting near the stabilizer saddles. Once again I started to feel like I was rushing things, so I decided to call it a night and leave this fussy step for the morning.