TF Cessna 182 – Stab Work Continues

I finally got a chance to get back into my workshop for a few hours this weekend and made a bit more progress on the stab. The stab sheeting is done, trimmed, and rough sanded.

20181028_131103

I also sorted out the elevator parts and begun shaping the elevator LEs and made up the skins for the elevators. I tried to select the hardest pieces of balsa from my kit for the elevator skins, saving the softer pieces for the fuselage (which will require some tight bends). Unfortunately, the harder pieces were a bit warped, so I may have some trouble with these skins. I will see how they look after cutting to shape, but I may need to dig into my stash of 1/16 balsa and scrap the warped kit supplied pieces.

20181027_174821

As an experiment, I tried using Titebond as an alternative to Ambroid for joining the sheeting. While it worked well enough, I found it a bit messy to clean up the excess that squeezes out of the joint. This time, I tried using Super ‘Phatic from Deluxe materials. As Super ‘Phatic is much thinner than Titebond, it is easier to get a thin bead along the joint, and the excess cleans up quickly with one quick wipe with a paper towel. The resulting joint was invisible and strong, so I now have a new favorite adhesive for edge joining. I do miss that Ambroid smell though! :)

Total build hours to date: 24 hours

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *