Hog Bipe – Fuselage Construction Continues

Spent a bit of time working on the fuselage this weekend. After installing the T-Nuts for the Sullivan tail wheel in the fuselage bottom, I spent some time fussing about with the formers and the fuselage top and bottom pieces. I followed the basic approach that SeamusG used in his very well done Hog Bipe Build Thread on RCU. I used some 1/4″ balsa blocks to pin the forward section of the fuselage to the building board, I then dry fit the formers and other parts together with clamps, tape, and rubber bands, fussing about until everything was square.

20140907_183746935_iOS

To ensure that I had everything straight, I set up my laser level with a vertical beam, and lined it up with the fuselage, checking that it hit the top center of each former. I also dry fit the rudder to ensure that it would install square. When happy with this, I went ahead and started to apply medium CA working from the bottom up as described in the instructions. Hopefully, everything stayed straight and square while gluing.

20140907_183757016_iOS 20140907_190440490_iOS

Just like SeamusG described in his build thread, I also ended up with a bit of a gap between the in the fuselage bottom plate and sides near the front of the plate. I decided, the fill the gap in with a bit of aliphatic resin (Tite Bond). As a bit of extra insurance, I used some balsa triangle stock to reinforce the joint between the bottom plate and fuselage sides and F5. I probably would not have done this if I had gotten a good wood-to-wood bond joint between the sides and the bottom near F5, but the area right behind the wings tends to be a weak spot in many planes, and for a gram or two of weight, this will add a lot strength.

20140907_211737957_iOS

I also started planning out the battery hatch. Although SeamusG built a glow plane, his build included a mod to add hatch to access the fuel tank. Following his lead, I will add a hatch between F1 and F2. With this in mind, I realized that I should not have glued F1A to the back side of the firewall F1. This double really is not there for strength, but as a place to attach the stringers used to help shape the forward section sheeting. Instead I want to use this piece as the front section of the hatch.

With a little care and a long X-Acto blade, I sliced F1A off from the firewall. The back side is a bit damages and the part will be too week to use for the hatch, but it is in good enough shape to be used as a pattern to cut a new piece. A little sanding and the back of the firewall looks like F1A was never there!

20140907_204928209_iOS 20140907_205526715_iOS 20140907_210048906_iOS

Next up will be the creation of the hatch floor and bulkheads in order to prepare for sheeting. I also will need to modify  and reinforce the fuel tank floor to serve as a battery tray.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *