SSE Covering Continues

I haven’t had much build time lately, but was able to get back into the workshop this weekend. I am close to being done with covering the SSE. I have to say that covering continues to be my least favorite part of building.

I covered the rear half of the fuselage bottom and sides with white Monokote and all went well, but the turtle deck turned out to be a bit of a problem. It took me three tries to get it right, and in the process of ripping off the covering on the first two tries, I ended up denting and dinging up the balsa at the top of the fuselage sides. It’s hard to see in the picture, but unfortunately is quite noticeable in person. I’ll add some blue accent trim later, hopeful that will hide the dents some.

What looks like wrinkles in the picture below are actually reflections.

20140406_145518518_iOS 20140406_145326771_iOS

The rest of the fuselage and empennage covering went fairly smoothly. Despite my best efforts to vacuum and clean every surface (including the use of a tack cloth), I did end up getting a few dust specks under the covering. Ugh!!

20140406_201316833_iOS 20140406_203311457_iOS

20140406_201336796_iOS

I got one wing done before deciding to call it quits for the day. So I’m down to one wing and the ailerons left to go.

20140406_232457562_iOS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *