SSE Wing Construction

I have been making some (slow) progress on my Sig Somethin Extra build. So far, I have the left wing ribs, spars, and shear webs glued. Need to add the LE and TE sheeting before unpinning it from the board.

2013-07-20T19-49-35_1 2013-07-21T13-40-57_0

To keep the ribs square during assembly, I have been making use of 1-2-3 blocks. Normally used by machinists, they are square and flat and heavy enough (relative to the light balsa and ply parts) to stay where you put them. At $17 a pair, they are quite affordable and have a multitude of uses for fixturing during assembly.

Stella Flys!!!

I successfully maidened Stella today! Wow, she is a great flier. A few clicks of up and few clicks of right aileron trim and she was rock solid in the air.

2013-07-21T11-54-13_0 2013-07-14T22-41-31_3

Definitely a bit more responsive than what I am used to, but once I got my nerves under control, I was able to bore some clean holes through the sky with confidence. I got three solid flights in with no problems – needless to say, all flights were at low rates with a a fair amount of expo dialed in. I kept it simple, just trying to get confidence and get a feel for the plane, but I can tell she will be a favorite flyer.

I was a  bit nervous about weight (all in with batteries, she is a touch over 18 oz about 2 oz over target weigh), but she seems to fly just fine. She literally leaps off the ground and slows down to a craw for landing. I always find landing on grass a bit tough with these small planes, I did nose over on two out of three flights, but at very low speed with no damage detectable.

Two very non-flying related issues did pop up though. One was the inevitable wrinkling of the darker colored Solite in the sun. Nothing major and most of it tightened up once I got her home, but a little tweaking with the trim iron to tighten up a few spots will probably be in order. The second was the prop from the other plane I was flying today poked a small hole in the turtle deck covering during the car ride home. Easy enough to patch, but hanger rash on a new plane is always a bummer.

Welcome to My New Home!

It’s been a some time since I have posted. While I’ve been busy with my builds, I have also been busy moving to my blog into its new home. While I was very happy with the free WordPress.com  site that had been hosting my blog, I wanted my site to have its own domain name http://alsrcsite.com. WordPress.com charges you an annual fee if you have your own domain name, so I moved onto a free hosting site hosted by www.000webhost.com. So far, I have been quite impressed with the features and performance of this free site, more than adequate for personal use like this. I guess you can get something for nothing!