Stella Good News – Bad News

Well good news – bad news on Stella. Good news, I got all of the little things done I needed to to to get ready for covering.

2013-06-09T19-40-43_1 2013-06-09T19-40-43_2

I even got a coat the coat of white primer on.

2013-06-09T19-40-43_3

The bad news, the primer added much more weight than I thought – about 0.6oz!! That’s about twice what I was estimating. Nothing that can be done about now though, I will sand off as much as possible, but it looks like I just blew away any weight savings I would have gained by using Solite instead of Solarfilm.

Oh well …

Stella Final Sanding

I’m still fussing around with a few details before covering. I have finished the final sanding on the tail feathers, rounding off the leading edges of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers and sanding in 45 degree chamfers on the control surface leading edges. I also finished final shaping of the wheel pants.

2013-06-09T10-10-39_12013-06-09T10-10-39_2

Final tasks before covering are: add the guide tubes for the rudder pull-pull cables, cut hinge slots for the control surfaces, glue the horizontal and vertical stabs to the fuselage, and mist on a coat of white primer. I know that the primer will add weight, but not much, and it create a uniform base color under the semi-transparent Solite white covering.