I am off work this week, but today was the first chance I had to get out flying. Actually, this is the first chance I’ve had since I wrecked my RV-4, so I was a bit nervous at first. I took out my trusty ParkZone T-28 and just bored some holes in the sky trying to get back into the groove. I got in 4 good flights with no crash this time!
Well my Stella build is coming along nicely. I have the fuselage and tail pieces essentially complete. Just the wing left to frame up and I will be ready for final sanding and covering. This kit almost falls together. The fuse seems a bit sturdier than the Stevens Aero RV-4 (which was quite brittle and difficult to handle before the covering went on).
I plan to cover with white and blue So-Lite. Even though they are considered opaque, So-Lite film tends to be a bit transparent, so I will likely mist on some white paint prior to covering.
After crashing my Stevens Aero RV-4, I wanted to find a replacement park flyer sport plane. I thought about putting together another RV-4, but decided that something different might be fun. So this time, I opted for another Stevens Aero kit, the G-400x Stella.
I got my building table cleared off this weekend and started in on the (where else) the tail feathers. The laser cut Stevens Aero kits go together fast and easy, but they are delicate during assembly. The parts were dry fitted before flowing a bit of thin CA into the joints. I still need to add reinforcements and bushings for the elevator joining wire (which connects the two elevator haves). I’ve done a bit of very light clean-up sanding, but still need to round off the leading edges and shape the hinge line on the rudder and elevator haves. I will leave this until prepping for covering.
I will try to post progress on the build regularly. I hope it goes quick, because I want to get back in the air with another park flyer!